Gynecomastia Specialist

Robert M. Tornambe, MD -  - Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Madison Plastic Surgery

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon located in Upper East Side, New York, NY

Gynecomastia is a condition affecting adolescent males that causes enlargement of the breasts. It affects up to 60% of all males as they reach puberty. While the condition resolves for 80% of affected males without medical treatment by age 18, the remaining 20% may experience teasing, depression, and other psychological issues. At Madison Plastic Surgery, Dr. Robert Tornambe offers effective solutions, including liposuction, for young adults and men who are negatively affected by enlarged breasts. Schedule a consultation online or by phone to learn more about your treatment options for gynecomastia.

Gynecomastia Q & A

What is gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia is a condition that causes the enlargement of male breasts. This condition occurs during the adolescent years as the result of temporary imbalances of the male hormone testosterone and the female hormone estrogen. As men reach the age of 18, these hormones balance out, and gynecomastia resolves in most cases.

When enlarged male breasts remain after the age of 18 and cause you psychological and self-esteem issues, Dr. Tornambe can perform precision surgical procedures to remove excess breast tissue and fat deposits to give you a more natural look.

What surgical options are available for gynecomastia?

Dr. Tornambe typically uses liposuction to remove excess tissue. He may also need to perform traditional surgery to remove glandular tissue through a small incision near the nipple. If there is an excessive amount of breast tissue, more extensive surgery may be necessary.

Your surgical options depend on your specific needs and body structure. Dr. Tornambe can create a custom treatment plan to address your cosmetic goals and provide you with superior results.

Can teens have surgery for gynecomastia?

If breast enlargement remains after the age of 18, you may wish to consider surgery to enhance your appearance and self-confidence.

However, children between 16 and 17 may be a candidate for surgery if the condition affects their self-esteem and they are undergoing increased psychological issues as a result of teasing. Dr. Tornambe works with your child’s pediatrician during the consultation to determine if surgery is the right option for treatment.

How long does recovery take from gynecomastia surgery?

You can expect to see results within a week after surgery as swelling subsides. Dr. Tornambe provides you with a binder you wear around your chest to reduce swelling and help your skin contract.

You should be able to return to work within seven days after surgery, but you may need to limit strenuous activities for several weeks to allow your body to heal completely.

Are the results from gynecomastia surgery permanent?

You can enjoy long-lasting results after gynecomastia surgery with a healthy diet and regular exercise. If you gain weight after treatment, you are at an increased risk of having additional fat deposits return to your breast tissue.

To find out more about treatment options for gynecomastia, schedule a consultation with Dr. Tornambe online or by phone.